Re: Passing current buffer to compile command

From: duke
Subject: Re: Passing current buffer to compile command
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:54:26 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 16, 1:50 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 16.01.2011 um 20:12 schrieb duke:
>
> > How do I do that? I'm not using make, but another compiler. So I need
> > to pass a filename. Instead of inputing the filename, how do I pass
> > the current buffer file name? %f ?
>
> I hope your file has a better name than %f! Have you tried to type M-x
> compile RET? Did you see text appear in the echo-area? Now, could you
> try to type SPACE (the character, not the word) in echo-area/mini-
> buffer and than the start of your file's real name (not its path
> name)? Does, when pressing TAB, the file name complete? If so, then
> just press RET! If not, then you have to type some more or make a
> choice at some time...

The buffer has been saved to a file.
I continue working on the code.
I want to re-compile
I do M-x compile  or goto the menu M-` t c
then I'm in the mini-buffer.
I enter my compiler name; I've always typed-in the filename currently
being edited.
I'm wondering if there's another to pass that filename to the mini-
buffer?
I realize that once I have a compiling history for the session, I can
navigate using the arrows, but it's that first time that I'm exploring.