Re: synchronous network communication?

From: chris
Subject: Re: synchronous network communication?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:04:43 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 17, 4:21 pm, Helmut Eller <eller.hel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  So my question is:  is there
> > a way to do this communication in an asynchronous manner?
>
> If you mean synchronous manner, then the answer is no.

A yes, as I said in the subject line, this is what I was looking for.
  A blocking API
> would block the event loop and Emacs would appear to be "frozen".

I see.  Thinking of it, this makes sense:-)

> You can however use a process-filter.  That's a function that is called
> with the data received from the other end.  So you always know when data is
> ready to process.

Based on your answer, I found "accept-process-output", which seems to
more or less to do what I need, that is, giving the process time to do
its business and then allow me to continue.  Preliminary tests seem to
suggest that this speeds up things substantially.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Chris