Re: Any way to get a super modifier on Ubuntu?

From: Rafael
Subject: Re: Any way to get a super modifier on Ubuntu?
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:02:24 -0600

Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:

> I recently started using Emacs on Ubuntu, and am having trouble getting
> my usual configuration working.
>
> I have a number of commands bound to a key combination involving the
> super modifier.  I'd like to associate this modifier with the
> "windows" key on my Dell keyboard.  When I open the Ubuntu Keyboard
> Preferences window, my choices under "Alt/Win key behavior are":

In four different machines of different models, the left windows key
"just works" for me as super modifier, and I can use, for example:

(global-set-key [(super i)] 'org-toggle-inline-images)

> For example, windows-w causes all of the onscreen windows to be
> shrunken and tiled.

This is a Compiz keybinding, which you can modify using compiz-config
settings manager.

> The right windows key could still retain its special Ubuntu
> functionality, should I ever want to start using it.

When I press the right windows key in Emacs, I get the same as with
pressing Alt-x. I have not found a use for that, though.

Regards,