RE: Icicles [was: shell command completion gone]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Icicles [was: shell command completion gone]
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 07:33:02 -0800

> vanilla gives history icicles gives all possible completions
> Trying to answer my own question:

You didn't ask a question. ;-)

> Does (setq icicle-default-cycling-mode 'history)
> do what I want?

Dunno.  What do you want?

> [Well it seems to as far as I can tell.  Just dunno
> about odd/corner cases]

If you want up/down to _always_ cycle the history, then customize these options
accordingly: `icicle-modal-cycle-up-keys', `icicle-modal-cycle-down-keys'.
Replace `up' and `down' in the key lists with keys of your choice.

(If you do that, you might also want to change the similar options for keys that
cycle per-mode actions, alternate actions, and help, `C-down', `C-S-down',
`C-M-down', etc. for consistency.)

Option `icicle-default-cycling-mode' determines only the _default_ cycling mode:
the mode in effect if you do not specify the mode (i.e., before you specify it),
by hitting `TAB' (for prefix completion) or `S-TAB' (for apropos completion).
This option has no effect once you have specified the current cycling mode.

If you leave the default bindings for `icicle-modal-cycle-(up|down)-keys' as
`up' and `down', those two keys reflect the current completion mode.  They do
not cycle history once you have specified the current completion mode explicitly
(`TAB' or `S-TAB').

E.g., if you type `foo TAB', then `up' and `down' perform prefix-mode cycling,
not history cycling, regardless of the value of `icicle-default-cycling-mode'.
It is only before you hit either `TAB' or `S-TAB' that a default setting of
`icicle-default-cycling-mode' other than `prefix', `apropos', and `nil' cycles
the history.

,----

`----