RE: Icicles [was: shell command completion gone]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Icicles [was: shell command completion gone]
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 07:48:39 -0800

> The doc string on this variable explains it pretty well, no?
>
> Setting icicle-default-cycling-mode to t was my first icicles
> customization.

To be clear: It has no effect on history cycling, once you've
hit `TAB' or `S-TAB'.  So it does not do what Rustom wants, IIUC.

If you want `up' and `down' to always cycle the history, then customize
`icicle-modal-cycle-up-keys' and `icicle-modal-cycle-down-keys'.

You do not need to _also_ customize `icicle-default-cycling-mode'.  Once you've
said that `up' and `down' will not perform per-mode candidate cycling, their
traditional behaviors of cycling the history kick in again.  They then _always_
cycle the history.

If, e.g., you choose `kp-1' for modal cycling down and `kp-7' for modal cycling
up, then using those keys before you hit `TAB' or `S-TAB' cycles according to
`icicle-default-cycling-mode', which is `prefix' by default.

Which is probably what you want, even when you have reestablished `up|down' for
history cycling.