Re: M-x shell, run 'emacs --help', get colorized output... why?

From: Steven Thomas
Subject: Re: M-x shell, run 'emacs --help', get colorized output... why?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 17:48:02 -0800

It turns out shell.el is deliberately doing this, as I expected. The regexps they use for the matching are in shell-font-lock-keywords. They don't work that well (e.g. matching "--whatever" in the middle of a line, but not at the beginning) and I find the colors distracting, so I just disabled the coloring with (setq shell-font-lock-keywords nil).