TAGS

From: simon cossar
Subject: TAGS
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 00:12:37 -0800

Hello list - I hope this as the appropriate place for my question. I am
fairly new to computers - I am just discovering emacs lisp and creating
simple functions. I am trying to view the source code of built in
functions - I understand how to use etags to set up a  tags file for a
directory but I can't find the directory that contains the built in
functions. I am finding all sorts of .elc files. Is it possible that
everything has been byte-compiled? I am on Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) with
emacs 23.1.1. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would
be greatly appreciated.
Simon