Re: TAGS

From: rusi
Subject: Re: TAGS
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 01:44:40 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 23, 1:12 pm, simon cossar <scos...@telus.net> wrote:
> Hello list - I hope this as the appropriate place for my question. I am
> fairly new to computers - I am just discovering emacs lisp and creating
> simple functions. I am trying to view the source code of built in
> functions - I understand how to use etags to set up a  tags file for a
> directory but I can't find the directory that contains the built in
> functions. I am finding all sorts of .elc files. Is it possible that
> everything has been byte-compiled? I am on Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) with
> emacs 23.1.1. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would
> be greatly appreciated.
> Simon

Strict answer: Built in functions are in source code. If you installed
emacs from apt (apt-get/synaptic etc) you probably dont and cant get
those.  If you want it compile emacs by hand which is not very hard on
linux.

A more helpful answer would be that if

> I am fairly new to computers - I am just discovering
> emacs lisp and creating simple functions.

then you would be better off doing:

while (fairly new to computers and emacs) do
  use emacs
  read elisp