Re: Automatically commenting changes

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Automatically commenting changes
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:38:45 +0100

Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

> Deniz Dogan wrote:
>> 2011/1/25 Gary :
>>> An editor I used long long ago had the ability to tag lines you
>> changed
>>> with your name (or some other customisable character sequence).
> ..
>>> Does anything like this exist for emacs?
>
>> Are you sure you want the code riddled with comments all over the
>> place?
>
> For three-way merges it was invaluable - if all my changes are tagged,
> then it is much easier to see exactly what I have changed. Similarly
> during the actual coding, I could find changes very quickly. Commit
> those "tags", obviously, would be absurd - actually, I'm not convinced
> that whatever editor it was didn't simply display them in the buffer,
> but maintained them in a different file or files (I am talking about
> something I used about 20 years ago, so can't remember the details).

Use RCS and add a line like this in the header of your source file:

;; $Log: your_source_file.el,v $

At each time you commit with vc (C-x v v), the changelog will be added
after this line:

;; Revision 1.20  2009/04/20 16:26:43 gary
;; some more changes

;; Revision 1.19  2009/04/18 10:10:53 gary
;; some changes

etc...

That say it is bad practice to add changelog in source files.

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: