Re: How to get web browsing functionality in emacs 23?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How to get web browsing functionality in emacs 23?
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 09:30:24 +1100

guivho <guivho@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> The problem was caused by an old emacs 22 that was still hanging
> around as /usr/bin/emacs and was picked up by the configure script
> being executed in eshell in my current emacs 23. Removing the stale
> emacsen and replacing them with symlinks to the current version,
> solved my problems.

Note that you should be very careful about running scripts inside
eshell. While eshell is a great interactive shell, it is not a fully
compliant shell. For example, it does not handle IO redirection. Many
scripts use such techniques and will not run correctly. To make it
worse, it will fail silently. Either use M-x
shell, M-x term or run outside of emacs.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au