Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature of Emacs?

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature of Emacs?
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:23:38 -0500

Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> I don't know if it's under-publicized, but I got hooked on emacs
> when I discovered keyboard macros.  I have start/end/call assigned
> to function keys, and I use them whenever I'm doing repetitive
> editing.

A slight refinement:  You can start & end the definition with the same
key if you install

(defun define-kbd-macro ()
  "Begin or end definition of keyboard macro."
  (interactive)
  (if defining-kbd-macro (end-kbd-macro) (start-kbd-macro nil)))
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  If you can make it from one fart to the next, you'll live a  :||
||:  long time.                                                   :||