Re: Xmodmap struggles

From: despen
Subject: Re: Xmodmap struggles
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 22:13:05 -0500

Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@eku.edu> writes:

> rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Trying to change Alt key behavior
>> On a friends machine
>> $ xmodmap .Xmodmap
>>
>> works but on mine I get
>>
>> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
>> for operation)
>>   Major opcode of failed request:  118 (X_SetModifierMapping)
>>   Value in failed request:  0x17
>>   Serial number of failed request:  15
>>   Current serial number in output stream:  15
>
> Try running xev on your machine. I suspect the keycodes are different on
> the two machines, and you're using the wrong ones for your keyboard.

Yep, been there done that, etc.

xmodmap -pm
xmodmap -pk
and
xev

are the main tools used to conquer keymap issues.
Grep along with xmodmap helps too.

In the OPs case, he had a clear for one modifier and
not the other.  One of the things to investigate.

Of course, this is not a gnu emacs issue so sorry
about that...