mail-mode: colors in multiply-quoted lines

From: Jesse Sheidlower
Subject: mail-mode: colors in multiply-quoted lines
Date: 31 Jan 2011 09:03:29 -0500

I'm using mail-mode to compose messages, using Mutt for the actual
mailing. That is, I'm only interested in the composition features (good
handling of reformatting quoted paragraphs, signatures, etc.), I don't
care about the actual sending of messages, so message-mode isn't
relevant to me if the only real difference is in the ability to add MIME
attachments and so forth.

mail-mode seems only to colorize all quoted text, i.e. it doesn't color
text differently depending on the level of quoting. Is there any way to
get this functionality? In the Mutt pager, for example you can specify
four different colors for different levels of quoting; it would be nice
to get this when I go into the message in Emacs too.

I've had a look at post-mode, which does do this, but it seems to be not
widely used or supported. Is it considered a well-done mode?

Thanks.