Re: Inspecting integer, float values from hexl-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Inspecting integer, float values from hexl-mode
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 10:25:38 -0500

> Hello,
> I'm inspecting a binary file with hexl-mode. I need to select some bytes
> and then be able to interpret their value as integer, or as float. I was
> wondering if there is a method for doing this since it seems that
> hexl-mode doesn't do that by default.

Not that I know, no.

> In case there isn't one, I suppose I would have to code my method
> calling the external `od' program to interpret the values.

That sounds like a reasonably straightforward way to do it, yes.

> The problem here would be how to compute the offset for the binary
> file that the selected region in emacs is representing.

The function hexl-current-address should do just that.

It would probably make sense to try and include such a feature in
hexl.el, so I encourage you to post your code for inclusion once you
have it working (and send it along for help if you have trouble getting
it to work, of course).

        Stefan