Re: sgml-validate

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: sgml-validate
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 14:02:10 +0100

Am 05.02.2011 04:48, schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
(I use gentoo)

When I tried M-x sgml-validate, it offers to run
nsgmls -s myfile.html

I don't have nsgmls so looked around and found
opensp providing onsgmls and a gentoo bug report claimed
a symlink nsgmls -->  onsgmls.

Emerged opensp and now have onsgmls.

But onsgmls -s myfile.html
just hangs and uses no CPU time.

onsgmls claims it will validate "the SGML document whose document entity is
specified by the system identifiers SYSID..." so perhaps my error is in
supplying just a file name.  What is needed for a valid SYSID?

thanks.
allan

Hi Allan,

AFAIU that's rather an sgml-issue.

Seems the command onsgmls fails, which should happen too for the very reasons also from the command line outside Emacs.

BTW I use `xmllint' for validation, may be it's ok for your purposes too.

HTH

Andreas