Re: possible `with-current-buffer' bug

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: possible `with-current-buffer' bug
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 10:43:00 +0100

Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com> writes:

> It lets you grep through a list of files.  Files may contain space in
> their names.  The most important thing is concatenated length of the
> file names is not a restricting factor.  i.e. grep unlimited number of
> files.

If `rgrep' and friends don't allow whitespaces in filenames and hit the
command line limit much earlier than your version, I'd consider it a bug
that should be reported using M-x report-emacs-bug.  But since `rgrep'
uses `find' (or, on Windows, the find emulation of dired) in conjunction
with -print0, it shouldn't suffer problems with filenames with spaces or
maximum length of command lines...

> I'm not sure what the command line length limit is for other OS, but
> on Vista, it's pretty short.

On my Gentoo/GNU Linux box, it is...

% getconf ARG_MAX
2097152