Re: Apple Events

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Apple Events
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:51:10 -0500

> In emacs-23.2, mac.c is gone that there is now nsterm.m and nsterm.h which
> connects to ns-win.el.  (ns is for NextStep I presume -- what Apple came
> from.

Not Apple: NeXTstep is the OS that was developed by NeXT when Steve
Jobs got kicked off Apple, and when he reintegrated Apple he brought it
back with him.  Mac OS X can be seen as a merge of Mac OS and NeXTstep.

> Curiously, there is a reference to "GNU Window system" somewhere in
> one of the comments.  Is that going to be NextStep as well?)

The API used for the NeXTstep port is also supported by GNUstep, so this
port can also support GNUstep, tho sadly this doesn't work very well
right now, mostly for lack of active users willing or able to help debug
and maintain it.

        Stefan