Re: w3 and css

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: w3 and css
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:27:40 +0100

[Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com>]

> I think I never actually saw w3 working on my machine, so I finally
> wanted to get it working.
>
> I downloaded from the git repository here
> http://www.gnu.org/software/w3/

I thought w3 was dead, so this got me all exited.
Indeed the web site says “Emacs/W3 is dead, long live Emacs/W3”
so I thought it had been revived, and maybe it has – but I downloaded
the git repository and ran git log, which tells me the latest revision
to the code was in May 2008. This does not bode well.

A little more detail: It looks like development came to a halt in 2002,
with a couple of fixes in 2003, then a hiatus until 2006, after which
the project was continued by Magnus Henoch until May 2008. Whether he
has abandoned it or he does not see any needs for further improvement is
unclear to me. The w3-announce mailing list archives are full of spam.