RE: help to change emacs defaults

From: Jason Mancini
Subject: RE: help to change emacs defaults
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:02:17 -0800

Hi,
Apology for the delayed reply.  I discovered that emacs-23/motif at work is fine (Redhat systems).  The basic problem looks like clicking on the scroll bar acts like one is clicking in the text area too.  Dragging the scrollbar is like dragging inside the text area.  Middle-clicking the bar acts like middle-click paste in the text area.  (Perhaps some sort of widget overlap error.)  Now I understand that the behavior I see is not related to active-region-highlighting / transient-mark-mode at all.  (Note: the random people on the 'net complaining about arh/tmm are probably unknowingly bitten by this bug.)

Working:
23.2.1 from scratch on kubuntu with toolkit motif, athena, lucid, gtk+ 2.20.0.
22.3.1 from scratch on kubuntu with toolkit motif, athena, lucid.
23.1.1 kubuntu package w/lucid
22.2.1 kubuntu package w/motif

Not-working:
23.1.1 from scratch on kubuntu with toolkit gtk+ 2.20.0
22.3.1 from scratch on kubuntu with toolkit gtk+ 2.20.0
22.2.1 kubuntu package w/gtk+ 2.20.0
23.1.1 kubuntu package w/gtk+ 2.20.0

What I see is that all the non-working ones use gtk+ ... and all the working ones don't use gtk, save the lone exception of the current emacs.  So I guess I just needed the latest greatest 23.2.1 version!  Shame about the broken default installs I've encountered on kubuntu and mandriva.  No bug to file since the latest stuff works.

Thanks,
Jason Mancini