Re: When does emacs backup files?

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: When does emacs backup files?
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 13:10:49 +0800

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:57 AM, orium <orium69@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I want my emacs to backup every file on save (with version control),
but for some reason i only have one version of each file.

If you read the description of `save-buffer', you'll see that this is by design.  I think this comes from the olden times when disk space was precious.

How can have one new backup version created every time i save a file?

You can force a backup whenever you save, by mapping C-xC-s to something like this:

(defun le::save-buffer-force-backup (arg)
  "save buffer, always with a 2 \\[universal-argument]'s

see `save-buffer'

With ARG, don't force backup.
"
  (interactive "P")