Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Windows splitting: prefer only 2 windows horizontal spliting.
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 11:43:55 -0600

On Feb 21, 2011, at 11:00 AM, martin rudalics wrote:

> You can enforce this function to not split WINDOW horizontally,
> by setting (or binding) the variable `split-width-threshold' to
> nil.  If, in addition, you set `split-height-threshold' to zero,
> chances increase that this function does split WINDOW vertically.
>
> The last sentence prompted me to set split-height-threshold to 0
> and that is probably why I constantly got smaller and smaller windows
> instead of reusing a previous window.

Replacing "zero" by "a smaller value" might cause less confusion here.

>> Actually it means "don't split windows horizontally" ;-)
>
> Yea.  I totally don't understand the language here.  A vertically line
> creating two windows is splitting it vertically in my pee sized brain.
> Sorry about that.

I'm afraid every second user interprets this as you did.  Unfortunately,
it's not easy to find a less confusing term here.  We could replace
"horizontally" by "side-by-side" but I have no idea which term to use
instead of "vertically".

How about "top and bottom" ?

>> What effect were you looking for?
>
> What emacs use to do before split-window-sensibly.

Do you use wide frames so Emacs tries to split them into side-by-side
windows?  What are your frame sizes?

Yea.  My code is generally 80 columns but I have to widen my frame
extra wide to fit Ruby's error messages into one line.  At that point, emacs
started splitting my screen side-by-side which defected the
whole purpose of a wide frame.

> At the time, I concluded that it wasn't a bug in the code but just
> that I misread / misunderstood the documentation.  I believe I tried
> setting split-width-threshold to nil and split-height-threshold (after
> trying 0), I tried leaving it alone and it still didn't go back to the
> old method.  Setting split-width-threshold to some giant number
> seems to take a different path through the code and gives me
> the old behavior.

If you never want more than two windows per frame the following should
be sufficient:

(setq split-height-threshold nil)
(setq split-width-threshold nil)

Ok.  I'll try that.