Unable to specify format for code comments

From: jkb0932
Subject: Unable to specify format for code comments
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:23:52 -0800 (PST)

I apologize if this question has been asked before; I checked the forums and
different sites and read everything I could get my hands on but have been
stumped by this one, prob. because I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to
emacs.

I would like to comment code for C source code such that

/* this is the first line of a comment
    and this is the second line of comment
*/

becomes

/* this is the first line of a comment
 * this is the second line of a comment
*/

In other words, put a '*' on each subsequent line. I know there is a
variable called "commend-continue", which is indeed set to " * " (I did C-h
v comment-continue RET), but I can't figure out how to make it actually
automatically insert this on each subsequent line. When I try to do "M-x
set-variable RET comment-continue RET" it says there's no such variable.

If it helps, I've looked at newcomment.el, which does indeed have a line
dedicated to it, but is not marked "autoload", so I'm guessing it has loaded
or defined, but I'm not sure how to do this (again, I'm a newbie).

Appreciate any feedback anyone can give. Thanks in advance.