Re: sgml-validate

From: Allan Gottlieb
Subject: Re: sgml-validate
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:44:08 -0500

On Sun, Feb 20 2011, Yuri Khan wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:21, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I had hoped I would be able to put somewhere in my .html file
>> some version of
>> <entity-defs>
>>  ge #x2265
>> </entity-defs>
>> But I see from your reply that this will not be possible.
>
> In fact, in an XML document you should be able to specify an internal
> subset in your document type declaration:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html
>      PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>      "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"; [
> <!ENTITY ge "&#x2265;">
> ]>

Thank you.  I put a bunch in my file and it now validates
(I had previously wrote a sed script to convert before validating)

> Any conforming XML parser should then understand &ge; in the rest of
> the document, along with the built-in &lt;, &gt;, &amp;, &quot;, and
> &apos;. Whether the web browsers use conforming XML parsers is an
> entirely different matter.

What I can say is that firefox doesn't complain and does show the
characters correctly, but it also recognized the native &ge;, etc
so perhaps it is just ignoring the <!ENTITY ge "&#x2265;">.

Thanks again.
allan