Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:50:51 +0100

Cthun <cthun_117@qmail.net.au> writes:

> On 23/02/2011 2:07 AM, Tim X wrote:
>> Cthun<cthun_117@qmail.net.au>  writes:

[snip]

>>> And then not everyone lives somewhere where the power is that reliable.
>>
>> Then a UPS would be the right solution
>
> You're joking.
>
> You would recommend that everybody blow $2-300 on an extra chunk of
> expensive electronics

If you have frequent power outages, surges, etc, a UPS is a must-have,
not only for not losing your work when the computer suddenly switchs
off, but for protecting the computer equipment. Here where I live, those
300$ (or, in my case, 800 euros for a reliable on-line UPS) amortizes in
just one winter.

> in preference to *having to type ctrl-S every
> couple of minutes to protect themselves from data loss*?

If your editor has no auto-save&recovery, please consider using Emacs,
which eliminates the distraction and anxiety of having to remember about
pressing Ctrl-s from time to time.

[snip]