Using the update buffer feature of template.el

From: Jay Bingham
Subject: Using the update buffer feature of template.el
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:55:55 GMT

I apologize for the nearly duplicate post, but I forgot to put a subject on the

I began using template.el many years ago to create new files. I had always
meant to figure out how to automatically update the Version: $ID: line that
appears in several of the templates (makefile, el, cls, sty & tex) that come
with template.el. After investigating template.el I find it appears to provide
the capability to do this via the template-update-buffer function and the
associated variables template-auto-update, template-update-buffer-alist and
template-header-regexp-alist. Unfortunately I find that the documentation
describing how to do this is not very clear, at least to me.
I am wondering if anyone on this list has used the auto update feature in
template.el to automatically update the Version: $ID: line, and if so you could
provide me an example of how to accomplish this. It appears to me that I will
need to provide a function that will actually do the updating. What is unclear
to me is how to set up the associated variables to cause this to happen
automatically.

While I am fairly sure that it does not matter which version of emacs I am
running and the operating system I am using, just in case it does, I am running
emacs 23.2 on Windows XP.

__
J_)
C_)ingham

$65/Hr Job - 25 Openings
Part-Time job ($20-$65/hr). Requirements: Home Internet Access
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/4d6574e74a66c431f57st05duc