Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: Cthun
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:53:07 -0500

On 23/02/2011 6:46 PM, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
Cthun<cthun_117@qmail.net.au>  writes:

On 23/02/2011 12:15 PM, Rafe Kettler wrote:
You must be a Windows user. You must also not be an Emacs power user

If by that you mean "you must be a normal, sane human being", then you
are correct. :)

For Heinlein, a normal, sane human being had to be able to compute an
integral, otherwise Heinlein didn't consider that he should be allowed
to vote.

What does your classic pontification have to do with Lisp, Bourguignon?

You'll excuse us, but when you post on gnu.emacs.help, comp.emacs, and
comp.lang.lisp, it is expected that a normal, sane human being be
defined as being able to use emacs and program in emacs lisp.

Hardly likely. For one thing those require extra keys held down, and
for another, which one of them corresponds to which arrow? On my
keyboard at least those are arranged like this:

.........p
...f.....
  ....bn.

This doesn't matter, because emacs users don't work at the low level.

What does your classic unsubstantiated and erroneous claim have to do with Lisp, Bourguignon?

You can expect an amobea to be able to direct itself up right down and
left.  But when we edit with emacs, we use higher level notions, such as
(n)ext, (p)revious, (f)orward, (b)ackward, x {character, line,
paragraph, sexp}.  We don't edit characters, we edit structured sources
symbolically.

Then why do you use a text editor and not a properly-designed IDE, Bourguignon? A text editor is by definition designed for editing amorphous strings of ASCII text, Bourguignon. If you want higher level constructs to be recognized you should be using NetBeans, Bourguignon. It has operations for refactoring and working with units from identifiers all the way up to methods and whole classes, and, with Enclojure, for working with functions and sexps, Bourguignon.