Re: Emacs 23, Debian and the "fixed" font

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 23, Debian and the "fixed" font
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:07:23 -0500

> And "fixed" /is/ real in the sense that it's the same, pixel by pixel,
> on every system I've used for the last 20 years. (Except that time
> when they changed the shape of ' in some ancient X11 release.)

Eerily familar.

> Thanks! But I'm one of those users who dislike changes, except those
> we ask for. I don't personally want more font control in Emacs -- I
> just want 'fixed'.

I suspect that you'll have to specify the full font name rather than
the alias.  It's probably at least a misfeature, of not a bug, so you
might want to M-x report-emacs-bug about it.

> I was thinking about 22, but the Debian people seem to have jumped
> straight from 21 to 23 because of some perceived problem with Emacs 22
> and Unicode.

No, it's just that Emacs-22 came out too late for Debian-5.0, and
Emacs-23 came out early enough for Debian-6.0.  Nothing more to it.

        Stefan