Re: Is this correct?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Is this correct?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 18:32:16 +1100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
>> Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 09:48:24 +1100
>>
>> We have an issue with a package that modifies the menu. After chaning
>> the menu, it calls force-mode-line-update. However, this is not actually
>> working to update the display of the menu-bar. Once the menu-bar has
>> been modified, some other event must occur before the menu-bar is
>> updated. That even could be another mouse click, movement of the cursor,
>> switching frames or even just waiting a minute or so (I'm guessing that
>> in that time, some other event triggers the update, such as updating the
>> load display in the mode-line, gc or something else).
>
> If you can show a small reproducible test case for this problem, I
> could try looking into it.

It is hard to reproduce in a small recipe. I've even noticed that
while the problem occurs most of the time, now and again, it works as it
should.

> Btw, this discussion now moved to emacs-devel (which is where it
> should have been in the first place, IMO).

I didn't put it on emacs-dev initially as I wanted to be sure it wasn't
just something I misunderstood before adding to the traffic on that
list. I stated this in the original post.

Uday has progressed things further and moved it to the dev list. He has
a better understanding of the internals of the package where we have
encountered the problem, so it is probably best left in his hands rather
than have me muddy the waters with ignorance.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au