Re: Emacs 23, Debian and the "fixed" font

From: Javier
Subject: Re: Emacs 23, Debian and the "fixed" font
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 16:06:19 +0000 (UTC)

I think the first message refers to these fonts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_(typeface)

I tried both emacs23-lucid and emacs23-lucid. if I recall correctly the
font behaviour menus do not access those fonts anymore.  In any case
emacs23-lucid seems to be better in terms of speed.

You might try emacs -fn 10x20, emacs -fn 8x13... the -fn option works
with most X applications: xterm... Maybe the original misc-fixed fonts
are not installed anymore by default in debian because modern
distributions consider them anticuated and no-longer-in-fashion. They
did the same with console fonts and now you have to search into the apt
database to see the old console fonts back.