Re: rcirc question

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: rcirc question
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:29:07 +0100

2011/2/28 B. T. Raven <nihil@nihilo.net>:
> Can I connect to more than one irc server at a time? I don't have
> rcirc-server-alist in my variables (via C-h v) but do have:
>
>  '(rcirc-startup-channels-alist (quote (("^irc.dal.net$" "#chan1")
> ("^irc.freenode.net$" "#rcirc"))))
>
> rcirc connects only to dal.net

rcirc-startup-channels-alist is obsolete in Emacs 23 and has been
replaced by rcirc-server-alist.  If you use Emacs 23, use this
new variable and configure it through customize.

If you don't use Emacs 23 or a more recent version,
rcirc-startup-channels-alist can be used to tell rcirc what
channels to join when the server matches one of your
regexps. However, the setting does _not_ say what servers to
connect to.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to tell rcirc to connect to
multiple servers automatically on older Emacs versions. Try:

(defun my-irc ()
  (interactive)
  (rcirc-connect "irc.dal.net"
                 6667