Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: Petter Gustad
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:45:10 +0100

Jim Janney <jjanney@shell.xmission.com> writes:

> Cthun <cthun_117@qmail.net.au> writes:
>
>> On 25/02/2011 1:43 PM, Jim Janney wrote:
>>> Anything I'm working on that would be expensive to lose goes under
>>> version control anyway.
>>
>> Then woe betide you if you ever work on, say, a novel rather than a
>> computer program.
>
> I haven't written any novels, but the purpose of a version control
> system is to manage text, and this is useful in many contexts besides
> computer programming: any place where you might want a compact, reliable

I haven't written any novels either, but I've written documentation
using Emacs and LaTeX and I keep my files in a revision control system
(SCCS -> RCS -> CVS -> SVN -> GIT) which I think works great.

You can also make branches where you write new stuff and keep the
master pretty clean. You can also have other authors push into a
branch. You can clone your repo from your laptop and push whatever you
wrote while traveling onto your repo when you get home or to the
office.

//Petter

--
.sig removed by request.