Re: print out all members of a list, v.1.0

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: print out all members of a list, v.1.0
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 06:48:41 +0100

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> Ughhh.  Finally, after reading many, many info pages and running a dozen
> or so google searches and reading four or five that many web pages over
> the past couple days, I found what I was after... mapconcat.  Still then
> it took a bit of reading error messages and playing around with syntax,
> but it's working.  All that for one line of code!
>
> I've programmed in a lot of languages over the decades, but elisp
> definitely has the steepest learning curve... prolly cuz it's so
> hodge-podgey.

It is not.  Just read a lisp programming course.

You can in general use Common Lisp books and tutorials to good effect,
since emacs lisp is close enough to Common Lisp (even if emacs lisp has
some limitations that you need to understand).  The point is that there
is much more material for Common Lisp studying than for emacs lisp.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro/
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/elisp.html

http://cliki.net/Online%20Tutorial
http://www.cliki.net/Lisp%20books

I would advise these books:

    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/
    http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

> Well, this isn't a discussion I have time for.  I'm just
> sayin', if not for emacs, elisp would be gone... and it might be gone
> anyway in a generation or two.  I'll leave it to those who know the
> language better than I to if/how to prevent that happening.

Outside of gnu emacs (and forks), indeed there are better lisps.  I
prefer Common Lisp, but some kind of scheme is even considered to
replace emacs lisp.

But it would not change your problem, since these languages are all
lisps, they behave at taste mostly the same.  Notably for fundamental
notions such as lists.