Re: F2

From: TheFlyingDutchman
Subject: Re: F2
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:18:24 -0800 (PST)

> Note that you can see if a key is 'free' by using C-h b to list all
> current key bindings.
>
> If you find, after defining a key using either define-key global-map or
> global-set-key, that the key doesn't seem to work, it is likely that
> your global key binding is being over shadowed by a local key binding.
> Using C-h b can help to show what maybe going on.  It is important to
> remember that key maps work in aa sort of hierarchy and that global
> definitions can be overridden (including cleared) by local key maps.

Yes, thanks, that appears to be my problem. I am editing an html file
and I see bindings for F2 as:

`2C-mode' Minor Mode Bindings:

key             binding
---             -------

C-x     Prefix Command
<f2>    Prefix Command

<f2> RET        2C-newline
<f2> 1  2C-merge
<f2> d  2C-dissociate
<f2> o  2C-associated-buffer
<f2> {  2C-shrink-window-horizontally
<f2> |  2C-toggle-autoscroll
<f2> }  2C-enlarge-window-horizontally

In the *scratch* buffer, the global binding I have set for F2 shows
up, which I guess is why I thought the problem had disappeared (and
later returned). The key works in *scratch* as I want but not in the
html file buffer.