Re: Sorting Order of Completion Candidates

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Sorting Order of Completion Candidates
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:00:13 -0600

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 21:41:11 +0100 Florian Beck <fb@miszellen.de> wrote:

FB> Hm, intuitively, I would think higher scored items come first.

I mentioned that too but Stefan thought it would be more consistent with
"shorter string first" this way.  We can discuss it, I'm sure.

FB> Anyway, I tried modifying `completion-all-sorted-completions' but it
FB> had no effect, because the candidates are sorted in
FB> `minibuffer-completion-help'. I guess, you will override that -- but
FB> why sort there in the first place? All sorting should take place is
FB> `completion-all-sorted-completions', shouldn't it?

I tested only `completion-all-sorted-completions' so I didn't know about
the other sort site in `minibuffer-completion-help'.  Stefan knows that
code far better than me so I will let him comment.

FB> Also, both for reasons of performance and convenience, an option not
FB> to sort candidates at all might be desirable.

Obviously that doesn't apply to `completion-all-sorted-completions'
whose entire purpose is to sort...  But yeah,
`minibuffer-completion-help' may need that adjustment.

Ted