Re: Starting a new cvs repo in VC

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Starting a new cvs repo in VC
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 15:11:44 -0700

,------ Jorgen Grahn wrote ------
|   so I guess you want to start a new project/add a new
|   module, within that repository.

|   I'd use 'cvs import' from the command line for that.

|     % cd my_project
|     % cvs import my_project dummy START
|     % cd ..
|     and then check out a copy of my_project somewhere,
|     and delete the original

|   It's not something you're going to do every day, so you
|   don't really have to find out if and how Emacs' vc-stuff
|   supports that. (Unless your goal is to test that part of
|   Emacs.)

Thank you, that is helpful.  It does seem odd, though, that,
starting from a directory that is not under any version
control, C-x v v in a file does offer to create a
new... something... using RCS, or SCCS, Bzr, Git, etc., but
not CVS.  Since the process you outline above is very
straightforward, it seems like just the kind of thing
'vc-next-action would do for you in such a case.

I do have cvs installed, and it's not the end of the world
if I have to do it manually, and I'm not trying to test VC,
actually, just use it.  I was just very surprised VC wasn't
sort of doing the thing I expected, the way it has when I've
used RCS.