Re: re-loading an elisp file

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: re-loading an elisp file
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 18:08:41 -0800

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:

> On 03/05/2011 01:11 PM Drew Adams wrote:
>> But it seems that we've been down this road before...
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2009-06/msg00394.html
>>

> The counterintuitive is harder to remember over the years.

Think of defvar as defining a variable.  If the variable is already
defined, there's nothing for defvar to do.  Setting the variable's
default value likewise only affects it's current value if there *is*
no current value.  (That's why defvar *does* set the global "default"
if that's unset, even if there's a buffer-local variable with the same
name.)

-PJ