Re: Indenting paragraphs manually

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Indenting paragraphs manually
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 20:17:11 +0100

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 18:58, Uday Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

> The region getting deactivated is part of the design.  Funny that nobody
> seems to have mentioned it.  Most operations that make use of the active
> mark deactivate it.  You have to activate it again if you want to repeat
> some operation.  C-xC-x is a good way of doing so.
>
> The selected lines not moving seems to be a bug in the development version.
>  In the current release, 23.2, the lines are moving the first time, but they
> are moving correctly a second time.  So, that is buggy as well.  Sigh...
>
> In any case, the traditional way of moving a region of text is to use
> `indent-rigidly' (C-x TAB).  You can give it a prefix argument, e.g., M-10,
> to say indent 10 spaces.

Ah, good. Thanks for the info.

The way you've mentioned works, but IMO it has two drawbacks:
 - It is a bit cumbersome to type C-u _number_ C-x <TAB> each time you
want to indent a paragraph.
 - It is not "interactive": i.e. Many times you don't know beforehand
the value of _number_. So,
   it would be nice if you could make several indentations in a row
while seeing the new position
   of the text at the end of each one.

Thus, I think it would be nice to have a way of indenting the active
region that didn't have the above drawbacks.

--
Dani Moncayo