Re: Tramp: how to set path to remote shell?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp: how to set path to remote shell?
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:59:15 +0100

Ethan Brown <ethandbrown@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi Ethan,

> Thanks so much for your quick response.  You are correct that I'm
> running "M-x shell".  I suppose I'll need to write a bit of code to
> toggle the shell path so I can reset it to the local path when I'm
> running "M-x shell" locally instead of remotely.  Too bad there isn't
> something to set that works only in the tramp context.

Tramp cannot do anything in this context; it is just a set of basic
functions which are called when you're on a remote host. It does not
know the context.

I have applied a patch to Emacs' trunk (aka Emacs 24). When "M-x shell"
is called interactively, and you're on a remote host, you will be asked
for the shell path to be used.

> --Ethan

Best regards, Michael.