Re: Client-side font selection weirdness: font or size requested but nev

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Client-side font selection weirdness: font or size requested but never both
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:52:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:28:43 AM UTC+8, Nix wrote:

> My X resources stipulate
>
> Emacs.default.attributeFont: Neep Alt-12
>
> and it is not overridden at the Lisp layer. But what I see when Emacs
> comes up is a different font, much too large: a font which 'face-font'
> states is
>
> "-jmk-Neep Alt-normal-normal-normal-*-15-*-*-*-c-80-iso10646-1"
>
> Firstly, this looks like a server-side font to me, not the client-side
> font I would prefer. Is Emacs translating fontconfig fontspecs into some
> sort of weird mutant hybrid fake XLFD specification, or is it actually
> digging out a server-side font when I asked for a client-side one?

XFLD is just a representation of font details.  It has nothing to do with
whether the font is client side or server side, and there is nothing mutant
hybrid fake about it.

Your problems seem to stem from expecting to get a particular pixel size when
you are in fact specifying a point size for the font you are requesting.  If
the font is coming out too big, try reducing the size you are asking for.