exchange buffer and text.

From: Ulrich Scholz
Subject: exchange buffer and text.
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:13:02 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

I really enjoy the rectangle commands in Emacs.  One thing that I miss
is to "exchange" the contents of a buffer (holding a rectangle) with
the text at a given position. In detail, it should examine the
rectangle in the buffer, kill the text according to the size of that
rectangle, and then enter the rectangle instead.  The result would
feel as if the rectangle would have been "copied over" the text.

I guess, that command could likely be a more general register command,
similar to insert-register.

Does something like this command exists or could be easily programmed?

Thanks,

Ulrich