Re: need obsolete arg in (read-from-minibuffer ...) in Version 2.0.

From: ken
Subject: Re: need obsolete arg in (read-from-minibuffer ...) in Version 2.0.
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 01:51:34 -0400

On 12/31/1969 07:00 PM  wrote:

> First note: you probably don't want to use read-from-minibuffer, but use
> read-string instead (read-from-minibuffer is lower-level and slightly more
> tricky to use right).

read-from-minibuffer has that history arg that I want to look into
eventually (maybe if I later do a Version 2 of what I'm doing now).  But
there'd be a twist: Because the user would be required to input a
*unique* string, it would mean s/he couldn't input anything already
listed in the history.  I first thought of a while loop which would
throw the user back into the minibuffer if the typed/chosen string
weren't unique... but that seems bogus.  It would be a smoother UI if
the minibuffer opened once and didn't close until the string the user
typed (or selected) was unique (or the user did a quit).

How would that be done in read-from-minibuffer or with read-string?

Thanks some more.