Re: ensure safe directory failing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ensure safe directory failing
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 03:10:10 -0400

> Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 20:36:01 -0500
> From: "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>
> Okay, I made the patch and changed owners on c:\emacs\.emacs.d and
> c:\emacs\.emacs.d\server to Administrator and Administrators but still
> get error.

Trivia first: did you byte compile the patched server.el?  Did you
restart Emacs after that?

If the answer is YES to both, then please type the two commands below
and show the results:

  M-: (file-attributes "c:/emacs/.emacs.d" 'integer) RET
  M-: (user-uid) RET

> Would it be worth while to change the patch to 500 OR 544 instead of
> AND?

No.  The code checks for the situation where the user is
Administrator, whereas the directory where the server file is about to
be created is owned by the Administrators group.

Btw, does your HOME variable point to C:/emacs?  If not, why does
Emacs create the server file in C:/emacs/.emacs.d?

> Btw, why is it uid 544 and then user-uid 500?

These are the IDs of Administrators and Administrator, respectively.

> Or even not checking for safe directory?

That would be against the intent of server.el, which wants to assure
that no one but yourself can access the server file.

> Also my username id is a member of Administrators and has full
> control almost everywhere that Administrator has.

This not about control, this is about security.

> Remember this is on win2000 Professional not XP although it is ntfs file
> system.

I don't think there's a difference, but the 2 commands above should
tell where I'm wrong.