Re: Toggling the reverse frame parameter

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Toggling the reverse frame parameter
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:33:14 +0200

> From: Ben Key <bkey76@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 15:09:55 -0400
>
> I like the reverse video mode of Emacs sometimes, but not always.  I would
> like to have a way of toggling this property without having to restart Emacs
> (right now the only way of setting this property is to start Emacs with or
> without the -rv command line argument).  I have tried M-:
> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'reverse t) to turn it on and
> (set-frame-parameter
> (selected-frame) 'reverse nil) and M-: (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame)
> 'reverse nil) to turn it off, but this does not work.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or is the reverse video effect something
> that can only be specified at start up?

It can only be specified at startup.  I don't think it was ever
possible to do this from inside a running Emacs session.  That's why
you won't find the 'reverse frame parameter documented, neither in the
Emacs User Manual nor in the ELisp Manual.

(Note that currently, i.e. in Emacs 23, even the -rv command-line
argument is broken.  I guess not many people actually use it.)