Re: w3m-el-snapshot installation

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: w3m-el-snapshot installation
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 08:35:56 -0400

Michael,

Very interesting. After a decade using emacs I'm just now discovering
some basic utilities. Thanks!

> what makes you think that w3m-el-snapshot is not being used?  What
> happens if you do M-x w3m in emacs -q?

Well, I thought w3m-el-snapshot was not being used because of the error
message when I try to display a html file and because there's no w3m
snapshot el or elc files..

When I try to run the w3m command in an emacs session without any init
file, I get "[no match]". However, if in dired I do "! w3m", it does not
complain and displays a text file. Not sure of the significance of
this. Is there both an internal and an external w3m command?

> I have Debian testing and w3m-el-snapshot installed.  Here, all Elisp
> source files are in "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m".  In
> "/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/w3m", I see the byte compiles files
> (*.elc), and symlinks to the sources.

Not here. While my source files are also in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m, I do not have a
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/w3m/ directory at all. Instead I have a
/usr/share/emacs/23.2 directory that has a site-lisp symlink to the
compiled files in /usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/, which has no w3m
directory.

> Use M-x apt-utils-show-package to get package info for any Debian
> package.  In the *APT package info* buffer, hit v f to list the
> installed files of this package. Try this for "w3m-el-snapshot" to see
> where the package files were installed.

I find w3m .el files in /usr/share/emacs/site-list/w3m, but no relevant
files elsewhere, whether they be .el or .elc.

> Use M-x locate-library w3m RET to check if your emacs uses the right
> w3m library.

Interesting. "No library w3m in search path". I could not infer from the
w3m-el-shapshot package description that w3m requires libraries.

> You can also try M-x list-load-path-shadows to check if any libraries
> of "w3m-el-snapshot" are shadowed.

No.

It seems that I have a broken w3m snapshot installation, for it did not
install libraries, and it did not create the /usr/share/emacs23/w3m
directory to hold elc files. Is that your impression as well?

I also find that I do not have w3m-el installed, although my impression
is that installing w3m-el-snapshot should install it, replacing an an
older version. However, w3m-el-snaphot does not specify what old version
is incompatible and what new version replaces it. In any case, I don't
have it.

I installed w3m-el-snapshot with aptitude. Should I have first removed
the w3m and perhaps w3m-el packages before trying to install
w3m-el-snapshot?

Haines