Re: dired rename backup file too

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: dired rename backup file too
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:14:30 +0000 (UTC)

In article <4d88edf9$0$23762$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
Uday Reddy  <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
>On 3/22/2011 12:40 PM, Xah Lee wrote:
>
>> haha. Are you being sarcastic? ☺
>
>No, I was being serious.  I was trying to point out how buying into the
>Unix way of doing things can block us from doing the right things.
>
>>   Dired can edit file names one at a time, just like OS. Wdired lets
>> you edit names of multiple files at the same time as if it's a text
>> file. This feature isn't in Windows, Mac, Linux.
>
>Dired allowed you to *rename* files, which is not the same as editing
>file names.  Sometimes, I work with some long file names for which
>renaming - the Unix way - isn't the right solution.  People that have
>used DOS, or its predecessors like CP/M, TOPS-20, TOPS-10 etc., know of
>better ways of doing it.
>
>Yes, Wdired is a great advance.  I agree fully!  That is what GNU and
>Emacs are all about: making advances in user interfaces and building the
>right tools for the right problems.
>
>Cheers,
>Uday

I still have no idea what you're talking about.

Editing file names -- you mean like in word, or a Notepad file, in the
middle of a sentence?

Or do you really mean editing a filename, and when done, the
name of the file on disk has really changed?

Heck, I used tops-20 ("twenex") for years, and never heard of
what I think you're talking about.

Please elaborate a bit.

Thanks!

David