command rebuild-mail-abbrevs

From: Alan
Subject: command rebuild-mail-abbrevs
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:06:59 -0700 (PDT)

Years ago, when I was first using Emacs 19.34, I learned to rebuild my
mail aliases/abbreviations using the command "rebuild-mail-
abbrevs" (it was probably "rebuild-mail-aliases" back then, but I
typically use tab expansion after typing "rebuild" anyway).  After a
long sojourn in XEmacs I have now returned to

GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO

and I don't find that command mentioned in

Info Node (emacs) Mail Aliases

nor in the rest of the Emacs Info files nor in the Elisp Info files.
This is somewhat surprising.

It is mentioned, inside "mailabbrev.el", in the following introductory
comment:

;; To read in the contents of another .mailrc-type file from emacs,
use the
;; command Meta-X merge-mail-abbrevs.  The rebuild-mail-abbrevs
command is
;; similar, but will delete existing aliases first.