Re: Turn Tramp off

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: Turn Tramp off
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:51:30 -0500

On Mar 29, 2011, at 4:33 PM, Tim X wrote:

> Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Setting tramp-mode to nil is said to disable it, but if I remember
>>> correctly I couldn't get that to work when I didn't want tramp.
>>
>> Yea. I found that via google but apropos doesn't even mention that. I later
>> found tramp-unload-tramp. This causes ange-ftp to be used -- which is ok I
>> suppose. Still is wasting time on a feature that I don't want right now. Its
>> super cool feature when you want it but right now its just bogging me down.
>>
>> pedz
>>

> Alternatively, can't yhou setup a tramp method that uses ftp to connect
> to that host? IIRC, the 'default' method is ssh/scp, but if you define a
> specific method for a host it will use that.

Yea, I'm sure you can.  I have just not had the time to learn tramp well
enough.  I was hot on a debugging path and just needed it out of the way.

More often than not, I'm not interested in its features.  I need to learn how
to set the defaults so it is off and then enable it when I want to use it.

I want to do rlogin or telnet inside emacs so I have a complete history of what
happens.  But that kicks off tramp and (often) I'm not interested in it.  And,
I don't do this very often so I haven't taken the time to learn the neat way of
doing things.