Re: using the debugger

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: using the debugger
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:33:17 +0100

On Fri, Apr 08 2011, ken wrote:

> On 04/08/2011 07:18 AM Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> I'm just learning to use the emacs debugger, and wish I'd done so a lot
>> earlier. There's one thing I can't figure out how to do. In many cases,
>> while I'm stepping through the calling of a function, it in turn calls
>> another function, which I don't really care about. I know what it's
>> going to return, I just want to get on with things, but the secondary
>> function is long and drawn-out and I have to hit "d" like fifty times to
>> get through it and back to the top-level function.
>>
>> I thought "u" might be there to unstar a particular subroutine and let
>> me jump straight to its return, but that doesn't seem to be the case, or
>> else I'm using it wrong -- in any case I still have to walk through all
>> the gory internals of all secondary functions. Can someone tell me how I
>> can skip them?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Eric
>
> Just don't instrument the functions you don't want to step through.  If
> a function is already instrumented, undo that by evaluating it in the
> normal way, i.e., place the point at the end of it and do C-x C-e.

In this case I'm using the debugger to find out why a particular
function produces an error. I'm instrumenting this top level function
and then stepping through it using "d" to see what's going on, but in
the middle there's, say, a ibus related function call that I know is
incredibly complicated, and also isn't the source of the error. So I'd
like to just hop over that particular ibus call and continue on with the
body of the function. Hope that's a clearer explanation…

Thanks!
Eric