Re: emacs and screen

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: emacs and screen
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 07:57:06 +0200

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 15:07:50 +0000 (UTC), Peter Keller <psilord@cs.wisc.edu>
wrote:
> > Also, what were you writting in .screenrc?  'term xterm' or 'term "xterm"'
> > with double quotes?  To me 'term "xterm"' gives the right value of the
> > $TERM variable.

Unrelated to Peter's problem (which appears to be solved) I've got
other screen & emacs questions for the list:

(1) I'm curious to know what other Emacs users have as their escape
sequence in screen, as the default C-a means losing an oft-used emacs
key combination.

Currently I have the tilde:
escape ~~

But previously used to use C-z:
escape ^za

What does eveyone else use?

(2) Also, to further muddy the waters, what is the benefit of using
ElScreen: http://www.morishima.net/~naoto/software/elscreen/

ElScreen sounds good, is an "all emacs" solution, but surely it is not
usable in the same way as GNU screen, for instance would it be
possible to resume an ElScreen session from a remote machine (without
using GNU screen as well)?

Cheers,
Jonathan
--