Re: x11 tunelling with putty to Xming Server on Windows machine

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: x11 tunelling with putty to Xming Server on Windows machine
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:17:58 +0300

> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:00:28 +0100 (BST)
> From: Jannis <bt_jannis@yahoo.de>
>
> I am trying to connect with Emacs (and ESS) via ssh to a remote machine but
> could not establish x11 tunelling. I managed to install and configure Putty
> so that I can use plink to establish the connection by running:
>
> M-x ssh RET <hostname> RET <password> RET
>
> In my .emacs file I added:
>
> (require 'ssh)
> (setq ssh-program "plink")

What is ssh.el?  It's not part of Emacs, AFAICT.

> I run a Xming Server on the Windows machine and installed ssh.el. I would now
> like to tunnel x11 Windows over the ssh connection. How would I set this up?
> I probably just need to add -X to the plink command but do not know how and
> where?

I have no idea how to do that via ssh.el, perhaps there's some
variable there that lets you specify command-line options to plink.
Then you can put "-X" there.

Alternatively, define a PuTTY session for that machine (by launching
the PuTTY configure dialog), and check the "Enable X11 forwarding"
checkbox on the SSH->X11 tab.  I think this will give you what you
want.